Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Camera Words Sight Word Folder System

As we all gear up to head back into our classrooms in the next week, I wanted to share how my system for managing sight word progress has worked wonders for my students and I this year!

There's a Cutie-Patootie little FREEBIE at the end of this post...so be sure you read all the way to the end.  :)

You may or may not know that I teach half-day kindergarten, so time is a HUGE concern for me!  I was feeling frustrated because I just couldn't keep up with monitoring my students' sight word progress.  I knew I needed a system.  But, it had to be efficient and streamlined - or it would never work for me!  So, I got to work and created my new...


My students and I call sight words "Camera Words" because students should be able to recognize them "in a FLASH"!!

With this Sight Word Folder System, I have been able to quickly and efficiently track and monitor the progress of ALL students on a weekly basis...in just a few minutes a day!  My kids have made incredible progress and have been SO PROUD of themselves!  This program makes the task of learning sight words manageable, meaningful, and FUN!!  

 Camera Words BUNDLE on TPT

My Camera Words Sight Word Folder System breaks down the most common sight words (Dolch words) into weekly word lists, with review lists and a final list included to ensure MASTERY!  Easy-to-use forms for Assessment and Progress Monitoring are included.

When I created this program, I knew I wanted to be ale to seamlessly DIFFERENTIATE so my students could make progress at their own pace.  I like how every student has a folder and all the pages look similar...so it's not obvious which students are on an intervention level and which are on an enrichment level.  

The bundle includes the Pre-PrimerPrimer, and 1st Grade word sets.

I designed this program to be used as a "folder system", which makes School-Home Communication a snap!  However, the folder system WORKS even if you choose to only use it at school.  It will make it very quick and easy for you to differentiate your work work activities and provide targeted practice for students at school!


Here's How...

I like to use inexpensive, fun folders with bright colors and patterns to make my Sight Word Folders.  I found these fun folders in the Target Dollar Spot in a 3-pack for $1.  Not bad!  But, you could also use regular file folders and cover the stapled edge with a funky strip of duct tape to add some fun.  :)  

Print off the pages, insert them into the file folder, staple securely across the top, and you're set!  I provided covers (as shown in the picture) that you can attach to the front of the file folder...but that's completely optional. 

I like to send home a set of flash cards with each student.  I copy them on cardstock so they last.  However, I teach the students lots of "games" they can play with the flash cards and I make sure to continually remind parents to avoid "drilling" the sight words with the flash cards.  I included the list number on the bottom corner of each card, for management and organizational purposes.  :)


Again, I prefer using a folder because it's super easy to get from school to home and back again.  I can also collect the folders for progress monitoring without having to have a stack of binders on my desk.  However, if you already use a Daily Binder with your students, you may want to just add a "Camera Words" section to the binder.  :) Easy-Peasy-Lemon-Squeezy!!  

When I created this system I knew I wanted it to be a tool to ENGAGE and EMPOWER parents to help their children master sight words at home.  So, I included a parent letter that you can use for the introduction page of the sight word folder. . It gives parents the scoop on why sight words really matter and sets the tone for a positive partnership!  I like to sign each letter at the bottom, just to add a personal touch.   

I wanted to equip parents with the tools they would need to make sight word practice more meaningful and engaging.  So, I included a list of suggested activities for practicing sight words.  These fun, hands-on, and interactive strategies make it a "SNAP" for parents to help their children at home!


I broke down the Dolch words into lists of 5-6 words.  My goal is for students to master one list each week.  Students practice the words both at home and at school throughout the week.  When they have mastered a list, they put their folder on my desk during our "arrival" routine.  Then, throughout the day, when I have a minute, I'll pull a student over to my desk and check their progress. 

I tend to just use the stopwatch feature on my phone when assessing because my phone is usually within reach.  But, you could use any sort of timer.  I generally have students just read the words to me directly from the folder.  But, you could use the flash cards (provided) instead if you prefer.  I record their data directly on the folder for parent communication and progress monitoring purposes.  I also transfer the data onto my own spreadsheet, but I like having all their data in front of me when I'm assessing.
I use the checklist in the front of the folder to keep a running record of the student's progress at-a-glance.  It also serves as a "certificate" when the student has mastered all of the words.

I have received RAVE REVIEWS from parents about this program!  They absolutely love how manageable it is.  The Camera Words system creates a predictable routine that families can incorporate into their busy schedules.  Most importantly, I'm getting AWESOME RESULTS!  All but 2 of my kindergartners have moved on to 1st grade words before winter break!!  I hope you'll be able to use this system to BOOST student learning, engage parents, and save time!! :)


Best of all...you can get the BUNDLE for 50% OFF!!
I'm keeping it discounted until Friday, January 3rd...so don't delay!!

And, now here's your FREEBIE! Enjoy!!  :)



4 comments:

  1. Love the freebie!!!! How cute! And great idea with the sight word monitoring. It's hard where I work--nothing gets returned---frustrating!

    Nicki
    Mrs. Thigpen's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. NUMPANG LEWAT YAH ~~
    BONUS NEW MEMBER OPPO POKER 20.000!!!
    KUNJUNGI DAN CHAT DENGAN CS LIVECHATNYA YANG RAMAH YUK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Numpang ya bossku ^^

    HANYA DI KENARI POKER BANYAK BONUSNYA BOSSKU
    Bonus Welcome Untuk New Member:
    - Bagi deposit Rp.10,000 - Rp.14,999 Bonus Rp.5.000
    - Bagi deposit Rp.15,000 - Rp.24,999 Bonus Rp.10.000
    - Bagi deposit Rp.25,000 - Rp.49,999 Bonus Rp.15.000
    - Bagi deposit Rp.50,000 - Rp.99,999 Bonus Rp.20.000
    - Bagi deposit Rp.100,000 ke atas Bonus Rp.25.000
    - Bonus next deposit 5% untuk deposit Rp.50.000
    REAL PLAYER VS PLAYER !!!

    Syarat Klaim bonus yaitu menghubungi CS kami di
    WHATSAPP : +855966139323
    BBM : KENARI00
    LIVE CHAT : KENARIPOKER . COM
    ALTERNATIVE LINK : KENARIPOKER . COM

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...